Christ Child House is owned and operated by the Christ Child Society of Detroit, a charitable, non-profit organization of volunteers who have been helping disadvantaged youth in the greater Detroit area for over 100 years. For more information please go to http://www.ccsdetroit.org.
The Christ Child Society opened its original House in 1948 on Pallister Avenue in Detroit as a simple shelter for children whose families were experiencing temporary distress. In 1957 the Henry Ford family made a generous donation of land and a new House was built on Joy Road, where it has grown into a 31-bed sophisticated treatment facility which has been widely recognized for its outstanding services to youth in crisis.
Many of the boys at the House have been removed from their homes due to neglect or serious physical or emotional abuse. Often these children have failed in subsequent foster home placements, adding to their emotional distress. The House becomes their place of refuge and healing, and hopefully, the start of a new life.
Joan Cannon, Facilities Manager
2016 Advisory Council