Christ Child House has been providing care for abused and neglected children in the Detroit area since 1948. Today it is an intensive treatment center fully licensed by the state of Michigan to provide residential services for up to 31 boys, ages 5 through 16, who suffer emotional, behavioral and physical impairment resulting from severe abuse and neglect.
Christ Child House, which is owned and operated by the Christ Child Society of Detroit, is a nationally respected 501(c)(3) agency that is accredited by the Council on Accreditation for Families and Children (COA), and is a member of the Michigan Federation for Children and Families. In 2012 The House was named “Best Children’s Home in Detroit” for the fourth year in a row, by the US. Commerce Association.
The mission of Christ Child House is to “provide professional and comprehensive treatment programs for children and families at risk through therapeutic services focused on individualized treatment.”
The philosophy of Christ Child House — “It’s never too late to have a happy childhood” — guides the agency in its special mission.
Christ Child House can always utilize financial contributions to assist in sustaining and expanding the agency’s programs and services.
If you would like to make a tax-deductible, charitable donation to Christ Child House, please click on the “Donations Welcome” button below or send a check, made out to Christ Child House, to:
Christ Child House Attn: Donation 15751 Joy Road Detroit, Michigan 48228
Adult volunteers are always needed for the tutoring program at Christ Child House. Most tutors come to the House for an hour once a week, usually after school or in the early evening. Our boys need patience and individual attention to assist with homework; neither specific knowledge nor a teaching degree are required. We ask that you commit to a six-month period of time to provide continuity and stability for the student; many tutors find the experience greatly rewarding and stay with us for several years. For more information please contact Kim Kelsey, Academic Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org 313-584-6077 Ext. 26.
Do you have a business which caters to children? The House is always looking for extra-curricular activities for our active boys. If you have the means and desire to sponsor an event, either in-house or offsite, please contact the agency at 313-584-6077. CCH is a 501(c)3 nonprofit entity and your donation will be tax deductible.
- Volunteer and group activity sponsorship opportunities at Christ Child House include:
- Hosting/sponsoring group activities such as yoga and exercise classes, Cosplay, pottery workshops/classes, Arts and Scraps, wood shop classes and model car building classes and dance classes
- Game night sponsorships (come and play board and video games with the boys and provide lunch or dinner)
- Movie night
- Social, cultural and recreational trips to the movies, museums, science centers, zoos, camping, Dave and Buster, LEGOLAND, Whirly ball, bowling, roller-skating, ice skating, Detroit Winterfest and dinner out, pizza gift certificates, restaurant gift certificates
- In-kind donations are always welcomed and appreciated by Christ Child House.
- If you would like to donate any of the items on our wish list, please contact the agency at 313-584-6077
Wish List Items:
- Headphones/ Earphones for MP3/CD players
- V-Tech Reading, Writing, Math Games for ages 6-12
- Lego Pads for ages 6-12
- Legos- all ages and variations
- Model Cars
- Untamed T-Rex Skeleton, glow in the dark
- Wrestling belt
- Brand Name Gym Shoes/Sneakers (Nike, Converse, Adidas; Boys sizes 1.5-6, Men’s sizes 7-12W)
- Underwear & Undershirts (Boys sizes 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 20; Men’s sizes 30, 32, 34, 36, 38, 40; Shirts sizes S through 2X; Older boys prefer boxer Briefs and/or Boxers)
- Socks (White crew socks and light and dark dress socks; Boys sizes 5-9, Men’s sizes 6-12)
- Belts (All sizes)
- Shoe laces (Sport & Dress; All sizes and colors)
- Toothbrushes (no toothpaste needed)
- Deodorant – Must have solid stick (not spray)
- Soap – Dove for Sensitive Skin
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Body Lotion for dry skin, Cocoa Butter Sticks and/or Cocoa Butter Lotion
- Non-Alcohol Mouthwash
- Chap stick
- Journals or notebooks for journaling
- Coloring books, Word search, puzzles etc.
- Regular Sweatshirts and Jogging pants/Athletic Wear in various sizes (boys S- XL or 10-12, 12, 14-16, 18-20; men’s S-2XL)
- College and Professional Sports Teams Apparel (boys S- XL or 10-12, 12, 14-16, 18-20; men’s S-2XL)
- Winter coats and jackets (boys S- XL or 10-12, 12, 14-16, 18-20; men’s S-2XL)
- Snow pants in various sizes (boys S-XL; men’s S-2X)
- Radio/Alarm Clocks
Things for the Agency to benefit all the Boys
- DVD Players (4-5)
- Microphones and a Portable Sound System
- Yearly Subscription for an on-line educational program (abc.com, edhelper.com, Khan Academy Program, etc.)
- Xbox 360 Game System
- Play Station 4 Game Controller
- Xbox 360 Game Controller
- Video games appropriate for children (rated E for everyone)
- DVD Movies for ages 6-12 years
- Educational CDs for Math and Reading
- Gift Cards (Walmart, Target, Meijer, Kroger, JCPenney, Home Depot, Lowe’s Office Depot, Amazon, Game Stop, McDonalds, 5 & Below, Visa and MasterCard – used to purchase items throughout the year as needed for birthday gifts, school clothes, special projects, additional food, etc.)
- Gift Cards to Movie Theatres
- Professional cleaning services
- Fatheads for the boys rooms
- Guinness Book of World Records (5)
- Tickets to children’s concerts, plays, museums, Michigan Adventure, zoos, Frankenmuth, movie theaters and LEGOLAND
- Re-striping of the basketball court
- Batteries (all types)
- Bike helmets (sizes S-L)
- Knee and elbow pads
- Board games (Monopoly, Chess, Connect Four, Battleship, UNO Cards, etc.)
- Brain games for children
- Camping supplies (flashlights, sleeping bags and portable cots)
- Yoga and exercise mats
- Storage containers (various sizes for clothing, toys, video games and DVDs)
- Sports equipment- all varieties- bats, balls, gloves etc.
- Laundry supplies (Gain detergent, Oxi-clean, Shout, Clorox 2 and Odoban)